- Designed by technical team with over 50 years combined experience in electronic rust protection and electronic rust prevention.
- RustStop® RS-5 uses a dual technology to be effective in all conditions.
- The Anodes (Rust Magnets™) give customers visual proof that the system is working by the obvious anode corrosion that occurs (anodes typically need to be replaced every 4 years); Click here to see images of anode corrosion.
- Suitable for New and Used vehicles
- It helps protect the entire car, inside and outside, which sprays cannot do;
- RustStop® RS-5 even helps control formed rust from spreading via electronic rust control;
- Spray-on coatings often need be re-applied over time, whereas electronic rust protection is permanent.
- Electronic rust proofing will compliment any other undercoating or spray-on type rust proofing, increasing your protection, as electronic rust protection can only improve your rust defence.
- Transferrable from vehicle to vehicle;
- Simple 5-Step Installation, no special tools needed;
- Available in 12V and 24V models suitable for cars, trucks, buses, trucks etc.;
- RustStop® RS-5 has four indicator lights i.e. Operate Light, Fault Light, Max Output and Battery Low Light.
- Draws minimal current from the battery;
- Will not interfere with other electrical installations;
- Ten (10) Year Product Warranty
- Testing and Testimonials
- Heriot Watt University, United Kingdom
- Shogun Testing Facilities
- Electronics Incorporated (Safety Tests)
- Sapref (Shell and BP, South African Petroleum Refineries)
- Engen Refinery
- Flamingo Plant Hire (A Barloworld Company)
For rust to form, there needs free-electrons, moisture and oxygen present. If any of these are missing, rust cannot form. The free-electrons are negatively charged, so the strong positive charge on the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) cause an attraction of negative free-electrons away from the vehicle and the anodes now corrode rather than the vehicle. This reduces the rusting process on the vehicle.
Any steel contains millions of free-electrons which are negatively charged and move around in the metal due to positive and negative charge differences caused mainly by impurities in the steel.
These small charge differences (normally around 1 volt) act almost like a magnet, and so the negative free-electrons are attracted toward and accumulate at the positive points.
When these free-electrons are exposed to oxygen and moisture, a reaction occurs and they are lost from the steel. This reaction is known as oxidation or RUST.
RustStop® RS-5 outputs a positive charge onto the Anodes (Rust Magnets™), approximately 50 times greater than that between the impurity and iron atoms. The iron and impurity atoms are now effectively all negatively charged in relation to the strong positive charge on the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) and so the free-electrons are attracted toward the Anodes (Rust Magnets™).
The Rust Magnets™ now corrode rather than the vehicle.
There is an argument that any product using anodes cannot work unless the anodes are submerged in water or buried in soil, and so do not work on cars or any other open-air equipment. This has some truth, but read further to discover why RustStop® RS-5 can be effective on cars.
RustStop® RS-5 uses a high-bonding open-cell tape on the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) which allows conductivity and protection even under the lightest of moisture. The anodes are placed where they will get wet whenever the vehicle is wet due to rain, atmospheric moisture and dew, meaning that protection is achieved around each anode during the highest risk periods. Each anode provides protection to the local area surrounding it, and when multiple anodes are fitted, this protection area can be overlapped, providing all over protection.
Basis for the argument:
Original Cathodic Protection systems, like for pipelines, had the anodes totally separated from the steel being protected. This technology relied on the soil between the anode and pipe to be conductive in order for protection to occur. The soil became the electrolyte.
It could never be used on open-air equipment because there was no way for an anode to hold a stronger charge, and still impress current to the steel. If the anode was in contact with the steel, the charge was short circuited and if it was separate is was insulated, hence zero protection. So in order for protection to occur, the anode needs to be separate so a strong charge can be held, but have a conductive material between (electrolyte) that would allow current to pass, but not create a direct short.
Why RustStop® RS-5 is so effective:
- RustStop® RS-5 use modified cathodic protection.
- The advanced high-bonding, open-cell adhesive tape on the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) allows the positive 45V to be held, but still allows current to pass through, even under light moisture conditions.
- Because the tape is open-cell, it responds to any moisture present, even atmospheric humidity and increases conductivity and protection when needed most.
- Only protects the area treated – RS-5 protects 100% of the metal
- Can be messy and unsightly – RS-5 is clean and out of sight
- Can chip, scratch or wear off – RS-5 is constant
- Needs to be re-applied – RS-5 provides lifetime protection
- Environmentally hazardous – Environmentally safe, chemical-free
Capacitive Coupling ERP
- Capacitive Coupling relies on the paint to be unbroken in order to hold the charge and so as soon as there are any chips or scratches, the protection is greatly compromised, even pores in the paint will result in a loss of charge – RS-5 does not rely on the paint at all and so provides protection to 100% of the metal, 100% of the time including the chips and scratches.
- The irregular shape of vehicle metal make it difficult to hold a charge using Capacitive Coupling – RS-5 holds a charge on its own Rust Magnets™ and so is able to protect all surrounding metal.
- Existing rust means broken paint and irregular shapes, which means that the Capacitive Coupling charge is dissipated – RS-5 draws free-electrons away from any rust activity, controlling the reaction and slowing down any further rust.
Direct Connection ERP
- The current impressed by an output bolted directly to the metal (Direct Connection) travels in a thin path of least resistance. This means there is little or no protection to most of the metal outside of this thin path – RS-5 outputs a strong charge onto the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) which in turn forms a large area of attraction around each one, like a magnet. The attraction field around each Rust Magnet™ overlap to provide protection to the whole vehicle.
Basic Cathodic Protection ERP
- Deigned for ships and underground pipelines, the anodes are separated from the metal and the only way you will get protection is if the metal is submerged in water or soil in order to have an electrolyte (conductive material) between anode and metal. This is not suitable for vehicles – RS-5 uses an advanced dual technology and the specially design, open-cell tape on the Anodes (Rust Magnets™) allowing current flow and protection in all conditions.
RustStop® RS-5 is available in various models to suite the vehicle size, corrosive conditions and battery voltage.
- The Electronic Components are contained in a high quality ABS approved enclosure, which can withstand very low temperatures as well as the very high temperatures in the engine compartment.
- The Output Voltage on the anodes is stepped up to between 40 – 47 Volts DC, in comparison to the usual 12 Volts output from all other units on the market.
- The unit has reverse polarity protection against incorrect connection to the battery.
- A Metal Oxide Varistor is used to protect the unit from damage against lightening and transient spikes from the alternator and starter motor.
- Components from companies such as Phillips and Hewlett Packard are used to ensure a quality product, hence we offer a limited 10 YEAR WARRANTY on the electronics.
- The current drawn is between 10 – 35mA.
Input voltage : 12 Volt DC (6V/24V avail.)
Current drawn : Approx. 10 – 35mA
Ground : (-) Negative
Housing : Flame Retardent ABS
Package Weight : 510g (12V), 680g (24V)
Control Module Weight : 160g (12V), 180g (24V)
Package Dimensions : 21 x 15 x 4cm
Output Voltage : (+) 40 – 47 Volts
RUSTSTOP HAS NO ADVERSE SIDE EFFECTS:
- RustStop will not drain your battery or reduce its life span. In fact it acts as a dual-purpose medium by warning you by an indicate facility that your battery requires charging or replacement. The unit when operational draws less current than most alarm systems;
- RustStop will compliment any anti-rusting method already carried out on the vehicle such as rubberizing although it does entirely eliminate the necessity for this messy process.
- RustStop is safe and will not cause electrical shocks if a person touches the vehicle.
- RustStop is environmentally friendly.
- Even when fitted incorrectly, RustStop could never accelerate rusting.